Monday, February 7, 2011

Stuck on Honey by Duck Momma

Honey is just one of those things. You know what I'm talking about, that one thing you want to splurge on. You keep coming back to it. Not only is it absolutely delicious but it is totally fascinating. Its unbelievably versatile in its uses. It can range in taste, color, and texture.
I love the sweet simple clover honey. It makes an amazing honey mustard dressing. Just add :
•5 tablespoons of honey ( use your favorite variety)
•3 tablespoons dijon or spicy brown mustard ( I like spicy whole grain)
•2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar ( rice wine vinegar works too)
• whisk until completely combined and enjoy!
So easy! I was so proud! Its naturally fat free, no pesky gum thickeners, and really there is something about making your own dressing that makes salad night feel like such an accomplishment.

Not enough to satisfy your honey fix? Me neither! I discovered the world food section at the store the other day and stumbled on a amazingly dark German forest honey. I promise I'm not exaggerating when I say its perfect. It's intense and very deep flavored. It made me think of all the bees buzzing through a shady cool forest, seriously. I mentioned I'm a told foodie right? Anyway suffice to say it is rich and amazing and totally begs to be used. So I made honey wheat bread. I believe at my limit for using the word amazing but... it was. And again pretty easy. I can't say I will never buy bread again, but I will whip this up again soon. Got a pen? Here are your ingredients :
•2 1/2 cups warm water
•1 packet active yeast
•1/4 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup honey (I really recommend a nice dark rich honey for this)
• 1 softened stick of butter
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
•1 1/2 cups rolled oats
• 4 cups bread or all purpose flour

Got everything? Okay, here's what you do :
Combine all ingredients and knead til dough is smooth, about 7 minutes. Set aside and let it rise to double its size. ( for me this took an hour or so) Punch it down and form into loaves and place in 2 standard bread pans. Preheat your oven to 375° and let it rise to double again. You can do a light egg wash and sprinkle with more oats if you like but its not necessary. Bake until bread is crusty and brown. Every oven is different but it took about 40 minutes for me. Let them cool and enjoy! It is so great with eggs and bacon... or by itself with a pat of butter...

I hope I've created a buzz about honey for you (more puns!) I will have more recipes soon. Until then bee sweet and enjoy!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment