Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teachable Moments Tuesday: Shopping List


      I've mentioned before that I've got a super-shopper for a son. I'm so lucky that he's so patient and helpful. I'm a lucky mama. Tomato-Mama that is. 
      For this week's shopping trip, I gave Pickle a job. I cut out pictures of the things we were going to buy from the sale's ad and glued them to a piece of paper. I did the cutting and Pickle did the gluing. Then we wrote the number of each item that we were planning to buy on or next to each item. 
      We took the list with us to the store and Pickle was in charge of checking items on the list. He felt so important and it gave us a chance to talk about lots of things, practice counting, read the names of the items together, read the prices, and match items to the pictures. All important skills for a preschooler! 
       Here is a closer picture of the list with some of his "marking" on it. We are going to make this a weekly activity. 



No comments:

Post a Comment