Thursday, April 28, 2011

Imperfectly Perfect by Tomato Mama


        I love 3 year old art. 3 year olds don't care about "perfect." They don't care about "getting it right." They are enjoying the experience. They are experimenting. They are learning about color, texture, materials, and creativity. Pickle loves to paint. He has been on a big painting kick lately. We have painted little dog and cat statues, Lightning McQueen everything, and paper. Most of the time he starts out strong painting the object in front of him, then gets distracted by seeing what happens to the colors in the water jar when you mix them and swirl them. He becomes obsessed with that and the original object is forgotten.
       Everything usually ends up black or gray. No matter what colors we start out with, it is so much fun to mix and swirl that we get a dark end result. Do I mind? No! I would rather have these messy, unfinished, black blobs than some perfect piece of work that is not really his. I'm not a mom that feels like my kid needs to "color inside the lines." There is plenty of time for that later in life. 
      When I look back at the pictures and objects that I keep from this age, I want to see what he was interested in and loved to do.. He will never be this age again. Pickle at 3 is adorable, creative, willful, energetic and beginning to be independent. He is sweet, funny and silly! When I look at these items, that is what I will see. Time letting little ones learn about creativity is always time well spent!


No comments:

Post a Comment