Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Glazed Over by Duck Momma

Chicken is such a versatile thing. A meaty blank canvas. . . That can quickly become routine and boring if you aren't careful. It is one of my favorite things to experiment with and I believe I stumbled upon a tasty version. Now given that my experimenting isn't exactly scientifically exact, what I share with you is approximate, always go with your taste and intuition!

I love glazed carrots so I took my inspiration from there. In a sauce pan I combined:
  • about half a stick of butter
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar (dark brown would be great too)
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic smashed but left whole
  • Salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • yellow curry powder
I simmered everything together and then poured it all over a lovely whole chicken, being  very sure to get the inside cavity as well. (It really makes a huge difference if you season the inside chicken cavity.) I put the cloves of garlic in as well so they could keep giving. I baked the chicken covered at 400 degrees (basting about halfway through) and uncovered for about 20. (Just until juices run clear) It was so tasty and very moist! It went very well with savory salty sides.
This particular version lent itself very well to leftover chicken salad the next day. So pop that baby in the fridge over night and pick off all the meaty leftovers. The slightly sweet meat went well with a tangy mix of:
  • mayo
  • sour cream
  • spicy brown mustard (just a touch)
  • very thinly sliced celery
  • shredded carrots
The quantities depend on how much is leftover and your taste. I served mine on honey whole wheat bread (see the blog post Stuck on Honey for my recipe!) Two delicious meals out of one bird, sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment