Friday, February 18, 2011

April Showers by Duck Momma

Its only warmed up a few degrees and I'm jumping up and down! I cannot wait for spring! I want to throw open my windows and clear out the winter gloom. In all my excitment, I started thinking about how much I love spring rain. It makes me so happy. So I decided to make my own version of a rain stick for Goose. I wanted it to be interesting to touch, see, and hear.

I started with an empty oatmeal container. I used dry brown rice and little navy beans for my "rain". I used more rice than beans, but I played with lots of different options before deciding on this. I glued the lid on tight after adding "rain" and taped it for good measure. I wrapped the whole pod in blue satin like material I had laying about. I sort of wrapped it like a gift or candy, sewing it tightly at one end.

I then added felt clouds and stitched them with a blanket stitch and lightly stuffed them to make them puffy. I cut out blue felt rain drops and sewed them on but left the ends floppy so they can be tugged on. I was so pleased with the end result, and so was Goose! Altough I think it will be much more interesting when we can actually observe and talk about rain later down the road.




Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment