Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ground Hog Day Prediction Chart by Tomato Mama

Ground Hog's Day is tomorrow so today I focused on introducing the some-what confusing idea of the holiday to my 3 year old. We started by reading the book, Gretchen Groundhog, It's Your Day!  by Abby Levine. I have used this book in my classroom in the past and thought it was very cute.



Next we looked at some pictures of real groundhogs online together and talked about shadows. We walked around the house and looked for shadows together.  After that, we started on the chart. I drew 3 groundhog faces and Pickle colored them in.



I made up a quick chart and we predicted what we think the groundhog will see tomorrow morning. Considering we are expecting a blizzard here in about an hour, we both guessed that it will be too cloudy to see a shadow tomorrow morning. We will make Tomato Papa predict when he gets home tonight.



Tonight we will play with shadows some more with flashlights. Hopefully we will get good news about spring from the goundhog on the news tomorrow and see how well we predicted. After a really snowy winter, we are hoping for some good news about spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment