Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cupcakes and the Best Frosting Ever by Duck Momma



Cupcakes are everywhere these days, totally in food fashion. I have always been a fan, even before they were in style and everywhere. Who doesn't love a little hand held cake?

But alas this story actually begins with the frosting. Its like which came first the chicken or the egg? Well in this case it was the frosting.

You see, my husband hates buttercream. I know, I know. Go ahead and gasp. I personally love it but I'm not baking for just me so buttercream is out, as is the convenient frosting in tub. So what is a girl to do? Well I will skip the long boring part and skip to where we find something amazing.

It starts like whip cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2/3 to 1 cup confectioners sugar depending on your desired taste
1 teaspoon (approximately ) vanilla
Whip like crazy. Now here is the brilliant twist. Add 1 packet instant pudding. We started with vanilla and its the current favorite but there are so many options. And therein lies the danger. So many tasty options. Not only does the pudding add great flavor but it acts as a stabilizer. It will stay fluffy and wonderful. And I'm sure you assumed but to be safe I will say, it does need to stay cold.

With frosting like that it just begs for creative touches. So using my favorite cake mix( bread I can bake, but made from scratch cake is way intimidating. I promise I'll try someday. Just not today) I bake a batch of cupcakes. Hollow a crater inside, not all the way through mind you, and fill with homemade strawberry jam. I topped it all with a white chocolate frosting. Yum!

But what about the leftover frosting you ask? Well I toasted and tossed some crushed pecans with butter and mixed it together with that frosting to make little butter pecan parfaits. Yum again!

And so I travel down the sugar fueled pathway of cupcake madness, riding the bandwagon while dreaming up flavor combinations. Butter pecan. Lemon. Caramel filled with chocolate. Lavender (yes lavender ). Bananas foster...
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment