Thursday, February 3, 2011

Upcycle project 2: Mmm Strawberries by Duck Momma



I am so excited about this project.  I love strawberries. Not only are they one of my favorite foods, but they always inspire a feeling of summer and family. My mom and I pick strawberries every year and spend a day making the most amazing freezer jam. (I will be coming back to this closer to strawberry time, it will be little Goose's first year!) It has always been special to me.
These adorable little berries are made from a pair of pajamas that had a worn hole in the toe. I couldn't fix the hole but I saw a whole (yay puns!) new opportunity. Not only do I love the berries as I mentioned, I love simple toys. I want Goose to learn about her world and use her imagination. I also love cooking and I want to share that with her. Finally we love The Very Hungry Caterpillar and I am working on tangible "food" to count and observe as he eats!
  • So with all that inspiration I started out by cutting out all the whole strawberries. and trimming them up.
  • Next I stitched them back to back using a blanket stitch, (thanks Tomato Momma!) and began stuffing.
  • It was then just a matter of repeating until I was finished! And 9 berries later, I have a very happy baby.
They are squishy and easy to hold. She was so excited about them, talk about success! Her selection of felt and cloth food is growing and hopefully so is her mind! We have already had so much playing with these fun little bites, I can't wait for the next wave of inspiration.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

No comments:

Post a Comment